When I arrived home from my foodshopping excursion with not a bit of traffic on the eve of Thanksgiving Day at rush hour (and very thankful for it), I decided to look up ChocolateCoveredKatie's website and browse through her recipes. I found this delicious and easy recipe for a great shake to wake up to on Thanksgiving morning, or any morning.
With a few tweaks, here's my version of ChocolateCoveredKatie's Coconut Chai Shake that I made this morning for my husband and me. This shake was DELICIOUS and very filling even according to my husband whose palate is a bit more discriminating than mine.
For those who don't like banana, you can't even taste it. This recipe is Vegan and Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free!
Coconut Banana Chai ShakesRecipe adapted from Coconut Chai Shakes by ChocolateCoveredKatie.com
Makes 2 servings
- 1 can full-fat organic coconut milk or the meat and juice of one Thai coconut
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 frozen organic bananas, cut in chunks
- 1 tbsp Indian chai masala or make the following mixture of organic spices. Add 1 ¼ tsp of this mixture: 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp ginger, ½ tsp cloves, ½ tsp cardamom and a dash of pepper which is optional.
- Sweetener, organic and/or raw is best (doesn’t need it but if you like it sweeter then add 2-3 tsp agave, honey or other sweetener to taste.)
- A sprinkle of cinnamon for the top
For ice cream, chill mixture and then make according to an ice cream maker or freeze the mixture and re-blend in a Vita-Mix. Mmmmmmmm!